Friday, October 9, 2015

Scary Skeleton Fun!!!

Happy Friday everyone!  Tiffany Gannon here from The Lemonade Stand.  October might just be my favorite month of all time!  It's always so hard to narrow down what I want to add to my lesson plans.  So, I try to fit as many Halloween and fall themes in as possible.  Skeletons are just so fun, and there are some really great books out there.  Therefore, I like to devote at least one day to skeletons.  These are some of my favorite skeleton books.  I also throw in some mummies for good measure!  It's close enough!


Have you heard this song?  It's ADORABLE!  It may seem young for second grade, but I promise you they still love it!  It's a great little introduction to your day of skeleton fun!


A couple of years ago, a student bought me the book Skeleton Cat by Kristyn Crow for Halloween from the book fair.  I immediately fell in love with this little cat!  It's such a great book for teaching reading with rhythm, as well as reviewing rhyming words.  The story is super cute, too!


I whipped up a craftivity for you to use with the book and it's FREE!  You can download it {HERE} or you can click on the pics of the craftivity.  It's a great book for finding inferences or making predictions, too.  You could add the craftivity to their writing or a graphic organizer.  Students could even write an opinion piece about how skeleton cat was treated.


You will also get a set of rhyming words cards from the story.  You could use them for playing go fish or memory.  I have found that second graders need continued practice with rhyming and this book is perfect for reviewing that concept.



Finally, I wanted to share a little classroom management tip for the month of October.  I use a clip chart for behavior.  During the month of October, if a student moves their clip up, they get to choose a prize from the pumpkin.  It's full of Target Dollar Spot prizes.  I also use the pumpkin for the occasional prize for winning a Whole Brain Teaching tally chart challenge.  


These erasers and pencils go perfectly with the skeleton theme, too!  I must say that these were a hit along with the spider rings, putty, and bubbles!  Next time you're a Target, be sure to grab some fun Halloween rewards!



Thanks for visiting today!  Catch me over at The Lemonade Stand for more fun ideas and resources!



No comments:

Post a Comment